Friday, January 7, 2011

Why I Don't Care About Climate Change

On the flip side of "Flockocopolypse" i.e. the huge numbers of animals dying all over the world, I've been asked my opinion on the cause. Granted I am no scientist, but there are some who have stated its more due to strange weather patterns than ya know, the four horsemen.

But that brings me to the main point of this. As an environmentalist and a biologist, I often get thrown the question "So Global Warming... *chuckle*" and as I roll my eyes with EXTRA gusto I am forced to admit, I don't argue for the existence of Global Warming anymore.

I can hear you know, "But TAYLOR!!!! Dude, c'mon you're, yo
u know, Buddhist and sort of Liberal right? Who the hell are you fighting for?!" and I know I know. But chill out friend with poor diction, here's why:

There's no use trying to beat the information into people's head who don't want to hear it. I can't make anyone believe in Climate Change anymore than I can make anyone believe that I'm actually Krishna in the body of a suburban teenager. All I seem to get is information on politicians, not scientists, who say "NO NO NO *plugs ears* LALALALALLA". So basically I'm tired of it.

My other, more effective approach, I feel is the give people something they can see. Like this:

This is the slurry that is created in making coal "clean". Sorry about the shock, I'm sure a similar feeling arose when you found out Fig Newtons contain more bug per weight than any other food except, you know, bugs.

This is the kind of stuff environmentalists need to bring up. Tangible problems. People can deny deny deny that the weather is changing based on the temperature outside, but that CANNOT deny this. We create it. We leave it. We suffer from cadmium, selenium, and mercury poisoning because of it. Plug your ears if you like, it won't make a bit of difference when things like this end up in your water. So, Climate Change or not, we really just need to stop fucking up the Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment