Sunday, January 16, 2011

Jukai!


So today I undertook Jukai. What's that you say? You're not up on Zen Buddhist lingo? Well fear not! I shall explain. It's a ceremony where I formally commit to 16 precepts and the lineage of the teacher giving them. It's a pretty big deal and not so much a big deal at the same time. I'm still me, I still have my faults, and really, what did I receive? Some special Mind power? Not really, just some good guidelines that I happened to make a public commitment to.

The "bib" is a "travel-size" robe that I sewed in preparation for this ceremony. It has my new "Dharma Name" written on the back. But really, you could be Myoken just as I now am in the Zen circle. What's in a name, after all?

The ceremony was simple, it was beautiful, it was heart-warming. I teared up a bit here and there, no shame in admitting it, when I was asked to bow to my parents. They have given me so much support, more than I could ever ask for. So thank you Mom, thank you Dad. Also a big thanks to my girlfriend, and to my sister. Every one of you is amazing.

So here I am precepted, named, and still Taylor.

Like one of my Teachers so eloquently put it, "This is not a raising up, we do not become saints just because we take these precepts. If anything, we lower ourselves down, if only to put the world on our shoulders and say 'I am here for you'".

Be Well.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Taylor, aka Myoken; thanks for your practice and being a travel bud @ treeleaf. I've enjoyed your contributions. Keep it up.
    gassho, Shokai

    ReplyDelete