Monday, January 31, 2011

Myths.

Mythology was one of my favorite things to read while I was growing up. The Norse, Greek, and Roman Gods battling it out, Hercules and his feats, Pegasus, etc... I thought it all was great. The plot line the character development, spot on!

Then again, I had the same view of Christianity and the stories of the Old and New Testament. What great plot! The Creation, the Flood! What drama and suspense! And even now I enjoy the story, I enjoy the Ramayana and Bhagavad-Gita with all of its imagery and poetry. I hope to read the Quran as well to understand the story there too. Buddhism even, the myths of Buddha's birth, life, Enlightenment and death. All great stories!

So what makes a myth a myth? In my view, a myth is an explanation for the world we live in that you don't believe in. Because while many Christians may hear the Hindu story of creation, of Vishnu, Shiva, and Brahma and say, "Wow! Great story, very creative". Surely Hindus hear the parable of the Loaves and Fishes and say "Wow! Great story, very creative".

I often have the question, "Do you believe in God?" thrown at me. Buddhism doesn't give me an answer, and that's why I like it because, to be honest, to give you an answer would be presumptuous. Answering that question "yes" or "no" would be making my relative view absolute, and I try to avoid that as much as possible. It's as if I say a cup is white while you say it's egg-shell. Your opinion vs. mine. Who's to say really? We each see the same cup, we just interpret what we see in different ways.

I won't conjecture how I got here. It's mind-boggling to think of the precise order of events that led me here right now, much less all of humanity. As a scientist I accept evolution, there's just too much evidence not to. But as for the origin of the Universe? All I can offer is a shoulder shrug; I'm really not too concerned.

It boils down to this: I think life is beautiful and I try to be a good person because really, how can you hate on something so wonderful? Easy for me to say, living in comfort, but it's how I feel and that's the vibe I try to put off. Whatever created the mountains and water, trees and sun, moon and garbage dump. Hats off.

"If God exists, I will chop wood and carry water. If God does not exist, I will chop wood and carry water."

Be Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment