Saturday, July 31, 2010

WWTDLD?


What would the Dalai Lama do? Ok, so I get it, the guy is adorable. I mean look at him! Cutest world leader I've ever seen. But I'll be honest, I'm pretty tired of other religious leaders and politicians saying they're "Interfaith" because they met with His Holiness. Don't get me wrong, he knows his Buddhist philosophy, he gets the basic premises, but there is something lacking... Oh yeah, the influence and voice of the other schools and sects of Buddhism.

The Dalai lama represents Tibetan Buddhism overall but more specifically one sect, the Gelugpa, of Tibetan Buddhism. My thought? It's the easy way out for politicians.

The Buddha never appointed a successor, it was said the community of monks he left behind would continue to teach the Dharma after his death. Not so convenient for today's modern political candidate who wants to appeal to the Buddhist voters. I mean seriously, who's he going to shake hands with, 500 monks and nuns? I think not. So in comes His Holiness, how easy! One monk to rule them all, and he's darn sweet to boot! Well sorry, but that's not how life works. No easy package to just satisfy all of the masses.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, His Holiness is a huge humanitarian, a symbol of world peace, and a wonderful Buddhist, I just wish politicians would and could understand that he does not speak for all of us. Not only that, he is not our Pope. Bodhisattva incarnate or not, he isn't the boss of me (Nehhhhhhhhhhhh!).

Blessings to you your Holiness, may you live long and continue your work. Blessings to you politicians as well, you could learn much from H.H. and other Buddhist and religious wayseekers.


No comments:

Post a Comment