Monday, July 12, 2010

We're all just one big happy family, right?

I often get emails from various members of very extended family I have never met but this? The Above link refers to an email many of you have probably already seen, but that was just revealed to me this morning. It includes a letter written by a Michigan state professor telling Muslim students to "leave the country" because he is fed up with their culture, aka freely practicing their religion and protesting the depiction of Muhammad in a Dutch newspaper. Michigan State has supported the professor and not asked him to give an apology for his letter.

The title of the email I received? "Go Michigan State!"

Here's my problem: What the hell? We support bigots and racists who generalize whole cultures based on the most vivid case? Is that how America works? So basically, I should refer to all Catholics as pedophiles, all Protestants as Jesus Freaks, all Hindus as Cow-Worshippers, and Buddhists as asians or hippies, and all Muslims are terrorists. Not a chance.

Obviously ignorance and arrogance reigns in this country from time to time. For if Christ was depicted like this there would certainly be just as much outrage. "But, hold on! They're different! They don't believe in Christ (actually Christ is mentioned about 28 times in the Quran as a messenger of God) and well, they blow stuff up!" Get your head out of the sand, to put it nicely.

Certain members of my family feel the need to feed me this ignorant bull and I'm rather tired of it. I'd rather be written out of 100 wills than to even acknowledge that this is just and O.K. People would do well to read something about anything these days rather than live off sound bites from Anne Coulter, Glenn Beck, Keith Olberman, or any other conservative/liberal reporter.

THINK FOR YOURSELF AND READ A BOOK DAMNIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment