Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nine Years

Nine Years Ago, I first learned of the Middle East, Islam, and a small minority that falls under both of these categories.

Eight Years Ago, I cried for hours because I thought my father would have to go to war.

Seven Years Ago, it was just another day.

Six Years Ago, the world seemed fine, war never seems to touch us.

Five Years Ago, I was too busy starting high school.

Four Years Ago, the opposite sex always outweighed politics.

Three Years Ago, fear of the future, a consciousness of the world set in.

Two Years Ago, I was too busy applying for college.

One Year Ago, I began to understand the happenings of the world, and if not understand, at least pay attention.

Today: The world is sickening sometimes. Our adults throw fits, threaten to burn Holy Books, all in the name of some belief system. When the world doesn't go their way, they don't follow that holy maxim "Do Unto Others...", they begin a temper tantrum that has more weight than they could ever possibly hold. Our adults cannot even follow the advice they give their children, "Be Kind." "Share with others." "Use your words." How do we expect our children to grow up understanding right and wrong when we are aggressive, selfish, and violent towards those whom we disagree with? If we justify acts of racism and xenophobia with media coverage, we justify hate.

Bullshit.

I don't pray for the troops, or for America, if I did pray it would be for all of us. We all need it.


1 comment:

  1. 'Fraid I don't have anything useful to say.

    Nevertheless...thank you for the post.

    Many a Gassho from Scotland.

    ReplyDelete